Tranmere Rovers go top of the table at least until Lincoln play, beating Wrexham in the torrential rain and fairly waterlogged pitch.

An unfortunate own goal from young centre half Olly Marx saw Micky Mellon’s side take all 3 points at the Racecourse Ground.

It is Tranmere’s 4th win on the bounce and sees them take top spot on 79 points with Lincoln needing to beat Bromley at home to retake 1st place.

For Wrexham however, they now go 5 games without a win and seem to be struggling for belief as they have nothing to play this season.

The deadlock was broken just 10 minutes in when full back Lee Vaughan’s shot hit Olly Marx and trembled into his net

The lead was very much deserved but but came at the hands of an unfortunate moment for the 18 year old defender who was making his home debut.

Vaughan’s attacking threat from full back continued to hurt Wrexham as he had another shot on 19 minutes, with his left foot shot going just wide of the far post.

Nerves seemed to kick in to the Wrexham backline after the own goal, with Anthony Barry front post clearance from a Tranmere corner hit the post of his own goal on 28 minutes.

Wrexham had offered little to nothing going forward until the 42nd minute where Paul Rutherford’s direct run saw him dribble past two players but his shot was blocked for a corner.

Then Wrexham’s best chance of the half came to the feet of striker Jordan White who, from 8 yards out, blasted his shot over the bar.

The second half continued in the same fashion, with Tranmere in control and looking the much better side on and off the ball.

James Norwood’s powerful strike for Rovers was tipped over the bar by Dragons goalkeeper Chris Dunn.

Both sides introduced players off the bench to impact the game and it wasn’t until the 78th minute when Wrexham’s Massanka headed wide at the back post.

Wrexham’s started pushing for a equaliser late on and in the 87th minute, striker Izale MacLeod fumbled and miss-hit his shot after great build up play in the final third.

The last chance of the game fell to Shenton who ambitious shot from outside the box flied over the bar and summed up Wrexham’s afternoon.

Man Of The Match: Lee Vaughan of Tranmere